Monday, December 2, 2013

Final for Tinguely/Marclay Project

I really wanted to capture both artists by honoring the record and depicting sound in a unique, untraditional way.

I used two 45 vinyl records to encompass bells in the middle. They're supported by a balsa wood base and round outside edge to house placed needles. I used bells both because of the sound they produce and the sense of holiday spirit they bring about. I know only the projection had to have "holiday" tied to it, but I really wanted to connect each of my projects in that way. The projection (see individual post) uses "It's a Wonderful Life." The pieced together record uses Bing Crosby, Hawaiian Hits and Reader's Digest records to symbolize the travel, classicness and integrity in "It's a Wonderful Life."And lastly, the Tinguely/Marclay Project uses bells to allude to holiday.

Really, it takes aspects of an old record player: spinning motion, needles, records, wood and screws to create a new kind of experience. The mechanical part is the person spinning the records, making the bells sound and the tab hit the needles (both for added sound and for a mesmerizing visual). I was happy how finished it looks and will keep it for something fun in my own home!

Photos:





No comments:

Post a Comment