Sunday, May 5, 2013

Exhibition

An Interactive Home


Overall I found the entire exhibition powerful because I had never been to an entire show that seemed to be so hands on. The artwork was encouraging people to “play” and not just in a supervised manner. This form of play was meant to be discovered, uncovered, confusing, celebratory, and basically whatever the player wanted it to be. Although there was artwork such as Sheila Malone’s “Simply Knot: A Queer Performance Video,” that didn’t have a particular “play” or “active” aspect to it, it was still engaging and thought provoking.

My favorite piece, and somewhat an unexpected favorite piece, was “Siena” by Vera Fainshtein. The light projection on the three-tiered cloth was so simple but truly drew me in. It was a piece that again, was thought provoking in a light, airy and not in your face way. This may have been because this was one of the more “quiet” pieces in the show or it may have been because it was secluded and almost secret from the rest.

I loved this piece because it was curious and thinking about it (or not) was still enjoyable. Either way, I thought the piece was visually striking but when I read up more on the meaning – basically that through time-lapse and special technologies, it is possible to sort of transport a person to a place. For me, the calm, idyllic and unchangeable characteristics of Siena are also displayed by the installation. The sense of time disappeared watching the piece, in its own way “perform.”

No comments:

Post a Comment